Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hip Hip Hooray!!

So, I headed down to Austin Texas last weekend for some playtime with my friend, Carol. The Austin City Limits Music Festival was going on and we decided to attend. To say that it required lots of walking would be the understatement of the century. We walked, walked and walked some more. We stood, we sat, we ran and I truly put my newly repaired hip to the stress test. And . . . . drum roll please . . . . . it performed perfectly! No pains whatsoever anywhere!! By the end of the weekend, I had the biggest smile on my face that you have ever seen. I also noticed that my external rotation is improving remarkably. It's not even with my right hip yet but it's really close. I am close to being 6 months out and finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and am pretty sure it's not a train!

After all of the extensive walking this weekend, I feel pretty confident that I have reached a turning point in my recovery. I no longer have the adductor pain or the nagging back pain or any of the miscellaneous aches and pains that have plagued me for so long and have been the source of my angst for so long.

In some ways it seems like forever ago that I had hip surgery and in others, it feels like it just happened yesterday. I guess in the big scheme of life, 6 months is a blip but due to the ups and downs and the uncertainty of a full recovery it has felt so much longer.

That loud noise that you all heard over the weekend was me breathing a huge sigh of relief. I am feeling more confident than ever and ready to once again tackle the world!

1 comment:

Fern O said...

I am so curious as to how much of your surgery and follow up physical therapy in Vail was covered by insurance.

I have FAI cam impingement with torn labrum. I live in CO. I have Secure Horizons which is under the umbrella of United Health Care. As of Sept 1, 2009, they decided they would no longer cover hip arthroscopy because it was too experimental.

I have heard if you pay cash, Dr. P charges $40-50,000 for the hip arthroscope. What is a person to do? There is no way I could pay a huge sum like that.

I wish you would do an article about the financial part of all this.