Saturday, August 15, 2009

Update on recovery

Recovery truly is full of ups and downs. One day everything seems to be moving along as planned and I feel really great and then one event will set off a chain reaction and suddenly I feel like I have taken a great step backwards. Ugh!!! So, this week I have been traveling like crazy . . lots of sitting, wearing heels for prolonged periods of time and almost no exercise. It has not been a good thing for my hip. I saw Sharon yesterday and was tight and my adductor is still flaring up on me on a pretty regular basis. I am having good luck getting the IT band to relax but the adductor is going to be the last to actually let go I believe. My back has tightened up again and I have a huge knot in my lower back. All of these things seem to be related and I am beginning to get frustrated. We have backed down on my strengthening exercises (lower weight; more repetitions) to see if that helps speed up the process. I suspect that I do some of these things to myself and so my commitment for the next 6 weeks is to do all of my pt exercises religiously no matter what my work schedule is . . period.

The glutes seem to be the last to get really strong. I can feel that I still have weakness in my left side and I think that contributes to some of this issue too. But I also remember that my adductor was the last thing to let go when I had my right hip done 6 years ago. And, I kept thinking at the time that the hip repair had not worked. I was wrong and today my right hip is amazing.

I am about to give my hip a test by walking the Indiana State Fair with my family. My 83 year old mom almost always wears me out and won't let me ride the shuttle because she wants to walk. I am so happy to have her genes, her toughness and her dogged determination. That's what keeps her very active at 83 and what will make me push through this recovery to be able to walk the Indiana State Fair when I am 83.

I am still working on Faber slides for external rotation but am still pretty tight. I have to continually remind myself that it's only been 3 1/2 months and I am doing pretty darn well for a 50 year old non-athlete. :-)

No comments: