Sunday, August 23, 2009

The thrill of victory

I saw Sharon this week for physical therapy and she worked on my adductor as usual. Yesterday during a short walk, my adductor tried to spasm on me and in trying to massage it, I thought it felt a bit bruised. This morning, I found a fairly large sized bruise on my leg. The hazards of a serious physical therapist! :-) The good news though . . . I am definitely winning the battle with the adductor. It's not nearly as tight and doesn't seize up on me as much when I walk.

Sharon also gave me the green light to start pushing myself a bit on things when I want. She wants to see if there are any adverse consequences from pushing my limits a bit. Wow . . .music to my ears!!! I didn't get a chance to really do much this weekend but plan to go try some putting and chipping at the golf course to see if I can get myself back into the game.

My back pain and general hip pain are much, much less too. That's another way I know that I am finally winning this war. Back to the gym and back to muscle building this week too. I'll keep you posted on how that goes but as of today, I am very optimistic. I can't believe how long it is taking for all of this to sort out and the ups and downs that I have been through with it but then again I know I don't have lots of patience and want everything to be perfect right now. I keep trying to compare this with my first hip surgery and I convinced myself that I was much better by this point with my first but I really don't think that's true. I know I wasn't as strong at this point after my first and I think some of what I have experienced with my back is just the fact that I am 50 years old and am working out harder than I have in awhile.

I have finally gotten my house and yard almost in order again after having left them for 7 weeks in the spring when it is critically important to get the weeds under control. It's taken some hard work and some outside help but it's pretty good. I look forward to next year when I will be 100% and ready to tackle anything!!

I am down to 1 physical therapy appointment a week now. In some ways it feels really scary and in others I feel ready to tackle things on my own. I have to say that I will miss seeing Sharon and hope that I can convince her to come kayaking with me sometime.

I promise to update sometime this week on my progress on upping my workout routine and how that is going. Cross your fingers for me. I really don't want any more setbacks or at least, lack of forward progress!!

2 comments:

Noell Blevins said...

I am so happy for you, April! I will be thinking of you as I travel up Vail next week!

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog when looking for post-surgery info. I am 4.5 weeks out from surgery and your posts are encouraging. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who immediately thinks the surgery was a failure if I feel hip pain!