Friday, September 4, 2009

Not so fast sister!

The adductor and I are still battling it out. I know it's been awhile since I have posted so here's the scoop:

I really thought I was winning the war with the adductor but apparently it was just because it was regrouping and re-arming to come back with a vengeance. Yikes!!! There are times when I feel pretty good and then there are times when it will absolutely seize up and I have to limp along until I can get it to relax. I find myself doing a trigger point release which I am sure looks questionable to those who are walking by since the point that really contracts is right at the top of the adductor. ;-) oh well . . i don't really care. I find that it is at its worst when I try to walk initially. If I can tough it out, I can usually outlast the spasm and it will eventually feel better. ugh!!! I just wish it would go away but it appears I may have to battle this for awhile for whatever reason.

It really doesn't interfere with my workouts which is interesting. It's mostly just when I walk. Last weekend was the MotoGP race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and I really didn't think I was going to be able to walk there. I limped along for awhile and then suddenly realized after about 1/2 hour of painful walking that I was pretty much pain free. Weird!! I think I am about 98% convinced that it truly is my adductor not that the hip surgery didn't work but I have to be honest and tell you that I have panic attacks from time to time about this whole thing. Deep breath!!

There were a couple of NFL kickers out there with me (who shall remain nameless) and I have watched them on TV doing what they do best . . . I am amazed by their recovery. If they had surgery at the same time, shouldn't I also be kicking field goals rather than whining about how my adductor won't let me walk??? :-) I should have had my hip fixed years ago when Dr. P first told me I should . . since I didn't, I have lots of muscle memory to undo and it's simply going to take some time. For those of you reading this who know you have a problem, don't delay thinking it will get better -- it doesn't!!! All that happens is that recovery takes longer. Learn from my bad habits. :-)

And, on a personal note, I have motorcycle fever BAD!!! Seeing all the bikes in town last weekend for the MotoGP race has reignited my burning desire for a motorcycle. So, I have been online for the past week casually shopping motorcycles and trying to talk myself out of it. It's really not working. I have friends who are a bad influence and are encouraging me to buy one. Not helpful in talking myself out of it. :-) A 3 day weekend could give me too much time on my hands and I could potentially be the proud owner of an Indian, Victory, Ducati or Harley by Monday.

My friend, Noelle, had surgery with Dr. Philippon yesterday. Noelle found my blog and started corresponding with me and then we had several phone conversations about this surgery and Dr. Philippon and recovery. I met up with her when I was back out in Colorado in July for my check-up. She's a very, very cool person and I feel lucky to know her. It's so awesome to be able to share my experience, hear about other's experience and be a part of a small but supportive community. Thanks to everyone who leaves a comment here! I really do appreciate it and am very interested to know how others are coming along. And, I think you already know too, am always happy to answer any questions from anyone who is considering, already had or wants to know more about this surgery. It has certainly changed my life!!

3 comments:

Noell Blevins said...

I'm BACK!!!!!!! Hi April :) Day 1 post-op and feeling really good. Your wisdom and guidance has been priceless. The surgery went flawlessly and aside from the first night puking (and that stupid bike) I am happy as a clam in a shell. And no thats not the drugs talking because I haven't had any!! Thanks for being there for me!!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go April. You are an excellent writer. Be careful where you work on that abductor muscle.

EB

Kim said...

April, So great about Noell. One thing for sure in following your blog is that the course is up and down-but mostly up!! If I ever do this again-Dr. P it is. I cannot believe how many people have this problem. A side note on the motorcycle-I hope you find a safer outlet-maybe base jumping or something!!! Just some very bad personal experience about cycles-which I love-but know better.