Thursday, April 16, 2009

Last minute details

Details are excruciating for me. I am a big picture girl . . let someone else worry about the spreadsheets listing all the pros and cons and the lists with everything that needs to get done. I prefer to fly by the seat of my pants. Except, of course, when selecting the restaurants that one must try along the 1200 mile drive . . those have all been researched and thoughtfully planned out. Are you starting to understand the level of my lack of preparedness here?

My focus now is absolutely not on the clothes, toiletries, pills and other things that are absolute essentials but instead on making sure that i have new music on my i-pod and that i make sure to take my bose noise cancelling headphones. And, let's not forget the stack of books that will be packed first in the car. Here's the current list of what goes (in no particular order):

1. Angels & Demons -- I read The DaVinci code and liked it and have tried to read Angels & Demons about 10 times but have never really gotten into it. I figure since I will be trapped it might just be the time to finish it. We'll see.

2. Talent is Overrated - Recently recommended to me by a dear friend, the premise of this book is that there is no innate talent. Success comes from pure hard work.

3. Survivor - Written by Chuck Palahniuk who also wrote Fight Club and Choke. Recommended by my nephew, Mitch.

4. The Pillars of the Earth - An Oprah book club choice and recommended by Julie. How can I go wrong? Plus it's 973 pages long so it should keep me busy for awhile

5. Explorers of the Infinite - This may be my first read as it is about a subject that fascinates me. Why do people risk their lives for the sport they enjoy. It's a question that is difficult for me to answer about skydiving so I am looking forward to reading how others explain it.

6. Marley & Me -- Light and fluffy . .maybe for the Vicodin days.

7. Edgar Sawtelle - I think another Oprah book recommendation and definitely recommended by Kathy.

8. The Traveler's Wife - I don't really know much about it. Again recommended by Julie who I trust with my life so I figure I should take the book.

9. Mutant Message Down Under - I read this book years ago and have wanted to read it again. It's about a woman who goes on a walk-about with an Aboriginal tribe in Australia. Awesome book!

10. An assortment of Christopher Moore books -- haven't chosen them yet but will probably include his newest - Fool - and some golden oldies.

I am strangely calm and relaxed having convinced myself that I am taking an extended vacation with a personal trainer who will work with me twice a day every day for 6 weeks. I am blocking out the waking up from anesthesia and the inevitable pain that comes from having your hip dislocated and an expert surgeon poking around in the socket, cutting things away and tacking others back in place. I have talked to awesome people from the Howard Head sports medicine facility as well as Dr. Philippon's surgery scheduler and they are starting to execute on their end of the plan. They confirmed today that they have received all of pre-surgery lab works and physician release so I am good to go. One week from tonite, I will be heavily medicated and on my way to a life with no more hip pain.

I dug out my brace from my first hip surgery with Dr. Philippon and tried it on tonite just to prepare myself for the inevitable. Ugh!! I read in the instructions again that I will only have to wear it for 10 to 17 days. Ok, I can do just about anything for 10 to 17 days. Same with the anti-rotational boots. I got those out again today and shuddered so quickly put them away. These are the worst part for me. When you sleep, someone puts a pair of foam boots on your feet that have a strap that goes around your ankles. They keep you from accidental hip movement. For someone who is claustrophobic, all they end up doing is making you feel trapped. Yikes!! It's only 10 to 17 days though. I can do it!!

But for now . . . back to the details . . I think my i-pod is ready to sync new music.

No comments: