Wednesday, May 20, 2009

One month tomorrow

Tomorrow marks 4 weeks since surgery. I can hardly believe it except for the fact that physical therapy has just kicked up a notch. Yikes!! Did I really wish for this at some point? Seriously??? Want to feel old and out of shape -- spend 2 hours working on core and glute exercises . . 20 minutes on a pilates reformer machine. I am pretty sure at this point that Joseph Pilates invented these machines as torture devices and when people didn't die; only got in better shape, marketed them as exercise equipment. Wow! I am thinking that Mitchell may have to hoist me out of bed in the morning as I will be unable to move. And, did I mention, we did core work in the pool yesterday?

I have no clothes that fit anymore. I have dropped an entire clothing size while out here in the last month. I had to go buy a pair of shorts today just to have something other than sweats to wear. I am starting to have real muscles again. It's pretty cool!! I am firmly of the belief at this point that what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger. I keep eating more and more and thinking that I am going to gain weight . . NOT! Don't get me wrong -- I still have a long way to go for complete recovery and I still have those "spots" that I look away when I see myself in a full length mirror but it's getting better.

I am using Vitamin E oil on my scars and they are starting to calm down a bit. I no longer fear something alien inside me or a spare surgery tool left under the skin.

And, most importantly, I LOVE COLORADO! The flowers are blooming, the grass is getting green and the trees are spouting leaves. It is magnificently beautiful. Every day when I drive to Vail I see people kayaking, biking, running and walking their dog. People at Howard Head have adopted me as part of their big family. I will miss them so much when I come home. I think I will also feel a little insecure without their guidance and oversight. And, as much as I hate to admit it, I will miss their pushing me hard to build muscle and get back in shape. I need someone to kick me in the butt periodically . . . no volunteers please.

4 weeks down and 2 to go. I didn't think it would come this fast but I am definitely having more good days than bad now and my progress is speeding up. Thank you Dr. Philippon and Lindsay and Laurie . . . you guys rock!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats! Looks like you are progressing. Keep up the good work so we can do our California wine trip. ;> Kate in MN