Saturday, May 30, 2009

Yes!!

Lindsay spent today at physical therapy doing lots of pilates reformer machine and squats. I can definitely feel the burn tonite from both today's exercises as well as yesterday. We, of course, had to discuss today my on-going physical therapy in Indy. I have a binder that outlines the pt protocols and timeframes for completing each. I smiled today as Lindsay went through it and marked it up since I am already doing strength exercises that aren't slated to be done for another 2 to 3 weeks. Fabulous!! Part of my physical therapy today was to go for an hour long walk. Lindsay sent me to East Vail to the Gore Creek trail . . . it was a pure slice of heaven. The trail is a paved trail that runs along Gore Creek and meanders off into the wilderness. I have been dying to get out and enjoy some of the beauty and this did the trick today. There were people fly fishing in the creek and many, many people out on their bikes. The mountain wildflowers are in bloom and the snow melt is still happening making Gore Creek rage. And, I walked!!!!!!!!! Everything is firing as it should and my hip hardly stiffened at all during the hour long walk. It made me want to leap for joy. I am almost to my 6 week mark and everything has been successful. Lindsay moved my hip every which way in the socket today and it is smooth as glass. I have good range of motion . . it's not 100% yet but it's better at this point than pre-surgery. . .and it will only get better!

Two more appointments (I think) with Lindsay then Dr. Philippon and then home . . although I have to admit this place is starting to feel a lot like home. Walking down the trail today I committed to myself to continue this level of exercise and fitness once I get home. I feel so much better and don't want to give back any of the progress that I have made in my 6 weeks out here. I am excited to buy a mountain bike and take off into the woods on any weekend that I can or go hike through a forest and enjoy the life of the forest. I can start biking again . . flats only, 30 minutes only and low gear . . in another week. I can kayak as soon as I get home.

It's storming here today. Watching lightning at 9,000 feet is powerful. I love thunderstorms anyway and seeing it up close makes me awestruck. The other thing that I don't think I have commented on is the stargazing that being at 9000 feet with no city lights close by affords. I can sit on the deck for hours and stare up into the night sky contemplating the meaning of life. :-)

I am looking forward to being back in Indy for the summer to spend time with my friends. I appreciate each and every one of you and all the encouragement you have given me over the last 6 weeks but I agree . . it's time to come home. See you very soon!!

No comments: