Saturday, May 23, 2009

Vicodin, Muscle Relaxer & Mike

So, last night I decided that a full night's sleep was in order and I wasn't taking any chances with wimpy Tylenol PM. I went straight for a vicodin and muscle relaxer. Totally did the trick and I slept like a baby . . or a junkie . . . whatever it was I didn't care; I slept!! My hip was still feeling a little throbby this morning and I was hoping that Mike would be able to shed some light on what was happening in my newly repaired hip socket. Mike is the head of the hip team at Howard Head. I have watched him work with the pro athletes that have been in and he is amazingly good at his job. I love Lindsay and Laurie and think they have performed miracles with me but I will admit that I was looking forward to seeing what Mike had to say today. Lindsay is out of town this weekend so Mike is covering for her.

One initial comment -- Mike is MUCH stronger than Lindsay and Laurie and has seen a few hips. Mike asked me what my main complaints were and I told him that I was having some pain down the inside of my thigh and that generally my hip felt really tight. He told me to stand normally and asked me how it felt. I told him it felt like I had one leg longer than the other. :-) Bottom line -- he fixed it. My hip has never felt better than it does right now. He did some targeted stretching and straightened the way I was standing. I was favoring my left side; not making it work and by doing that, it was making my adductor muscle down the inside of my thigh be in a constant stretch and subsequently be really sore all the time. He said this is a very common complaint at week 4, easy to fix and was very encouraging. Yippee!! I feel so much better about things today. Thank you Mike!! This is another reason I am so glad I stayed out here for the full physical therapy. He said that they have a lot of problems trying to figure this out over the phone with other physical therapists. For those of you reading my blog who are coming here for surgery, I will say it again . . . . stay here for pt as long as you possibly can. These people are amazing!!

Today and tomorrow is the Blues, Brews and Bar-B-Q fest in Beaver Creek. Mitch and I plan to go check it out and hopefully sample some more good microbrew Colorado beer and hear some free music. It's raining here on and off so we're hoping that we don't get caught in a downpour. I wasn't sure I would be able to walk it but my hip feels absolutely great today so I am optimistic on making my way around.

I have just over a week left. Here's to even more improvement!!

No comments: