Friday, May 22, 2009

Why does this have to be so hard?

As I have said before, they won't all be good days. I am having some unexplained pain today. Laurie couldn't exactly pinpoint the cause but it is painful when I walk today so the limp is back. The limp isn't something out of a horror movie - dragging a dead leg behind me - but it's definitely a limp. There's also a throbbing in the hip . . a dull ache that just won't go away. Rats!! Nothing seems to make it worse or better . . it's just there. So, tonite I am pharmaceutical shopping . . can't decide if it's a Tylenol pm night or something stronger. The throbbing kept me awake much of last night and I could really use a good night's sleep tonite so I am thinking of opting for stronger. . . muscle relaxer. Ugh!!! I was really hoping those days were behind me but it appears that as physical therapy ramps up, I may have an occasional icky day.

Today in physical therapy, I moved up to the leg press machine. 100 leg presses using very low weight. It felt good to be using some muscle again. Still working on core and glutes but have added in some hamstrings and quads now. I am still having lots of problems with my IT band . . . very tight and painful and requires lots of stretching. It's getting better slowly but surely.

My ankle continues to cause me problems. I can't sleep at night without a pillow between my ankles. It's still numb, swells at the drop of a hat and is quite painful when moved or touched on the bones. Ugh!!! I was hoping it might start to dissipate before now but it's barely better than 4 weeks ago. :-(

A new round of hip patients appeared this morning at physical therapy . .all in various stages of recovery from surgery. It makes me very happy to be at 4 weeks, walking and moving on. I never, ever want to do this surgery again.

It's Memorial Day weekend and I am not in Indy entertaining family and friends and preparing to go to the race on Sunday. That makes me sad and feel a bit homesick. It's also been raining here for the past two days with more to come for the next several. Don't get me wrong, the mountains are still beautiful and peaceful and I am enjoying them but I love the Indy 500!! Watching it on tv just won't be the same.

Here's hoping for some marked improvement over the weekend. 10 days left before I see Dr. Philippon.

No comments: